Paris: Galerie Daniel Templon, Zürich, Galerie Bischofberger, Loire, Musée d’Art et d’Industrie, Saint-Etienne, Berliner Künstlerprogram des DAAD, 1979. Edition of 1,000. Red vinyl folder 16 x 22 x 2 cm in size containing eight A5 (14.8 x 21 cm) saddle stapled booklets of various pages counts all of which are offset printed in black and white. Text in French, German, and English.
A collated and complete eight-booklet volume set containing the following:
1. Préface – An introduction to the volume featuring several photographs of the artist as well as a scale titled ‘Ben vu par Ben’ where the artist rates himself on the following personality traits:
Common sense 7/20
Text in French and German.
2. a letter from Berlin – A collection of typeset and handwritten letters alongside various illustrations. Text in English, French, and German.
3. Moi Ben je signe – A collection of artwork created 1958 – 1962 interspersed with vellum sheets featuring writings, drawings, sculptures, and portraits. Text in French and German.
4. Significations – A collection of text-based paintings created 1959 – 1960. Text in French and German.
5. Théorie – A collection of essays and theories alongside portraits of the artist and his work. Text in French and German.
6. Autocritique et ego exercises – A collection of handwritten phrases documenting the artist’s relationship to his ego (or lack of). Text in French and German.
7. Vitrines et murs – A collection of photographs featuring defaced and whitewashed abandoned windows and storefronts as well as graffiti paintings on bathroom walls, windows, and street corners. Text in French and German.
8. Annie on my mind or my Berlin sexual phantasies – A collection of intimate letters and images of a woman named Annie. Text in French, German, and English.
Trace amounts of rubbing to booklet covers and light age toning throughout, else fine. Item #75